[ovirt-users] Self hosted single server network requirements

Mark Steckel mjs at fix.net
Mon Dec 5 14:32:59 UTC 2016

Follow-up - I finally discovered the source of my networking troubles.

The provider (Hetzner) configures the primary IP in a somewhat odd manner for Cent OS 7.2.

For instance, here is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (lightly edited)

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=A.B.4.9
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
SCOPE="peer A.B.4.1"

And /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0

ADDRESS0=0.0.0.0
NETMASK0=0.0.0.0
GATEWAY0=A.B.4.1

The key thing is the SCOPE line.

This creates a private link between the server's IP and the gw IP. The server's IP address no longer has a netmask, which is now specified on the gw IP.

The odd network config appears to confuse the hosted-engine deploy process because it was unable to configure the ovirtmgmt bridge in a working manner.

Once I delete route-eth0 and changed ifcfg-eth0 to a more typical configuration all started working.

Now I just need to figure out how to configure the /29 for the VMs.

Thanks
Mark