[ovirt-users] Single server hosted engine... almost there

Mark Steckel mjs at fix.net
Thu Dec 8 16:15:18 UTC 2016

----- Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mark Steckel <mjs at fix.net> writes:
>
> > Am I missing and or just misunderstanding something here?
> >
> > Oh, and does ip_forwarding need to be set in the kernel? (ie
> > net.ipv4.ip_forward=1)
>
> If you expect the host to act as the router for your /29, then yes, it
> would need to forward packets.  You will also need to set up the
> firewall on the host to properly forward packets through.
>
> It honestly might be easier for you to get an actual router instead of
> trying to force your host to act as both host+router.  I suspect the
> hosted-engine --deploy script wouldn't really know how to properly
> handle the host as a router so it might either break that configuration
> or at least not know how to set it up.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the hosting company (Hetzner) providing the server requires the /29 to be on the host.

Googling "ovirt Hetzner" shows that a number of people have attempted this at Hetzner and have run into various problems. Here is one of the more relevant examples:

    http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/019785.html  (check out the first link)
    http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-February/020913.html

So it seems this is doable, but needs a bit more finesse than I've used so far.

Mark