[ovirt-users] Single server hosted engine... almost there

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Dec 11 06:38:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, December 8, 2016 11:37 am, Mark Steckel wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I suspect you will need to set up your engine NOT using the
>>> appliance, but instead install CentOS and then the engine inside the VM.
>>> This will give you more direct access to the engine VM, and should give
>>> you the opportunity to set up the bridge routing during the process.
>>
>> Makes sense, at least in concept.
>>
>> But are you suggesting that I manually set up the vm for the engine (ie
>> not use "hosted-engine --deploy")
>
> No, you should still use hosted-engine --deploy, but use a CentOS install
> media instead of a virtual appliance.
>
>>     and then manually run engine setup from w/i the vm?
>
> Yes.  You will need to do that.  But this should give you the opportunity
> to test networking, DNS, routing, etc on the host and VM prior to running
> engine-setup.

Not sure you really need much more control on the engine vm or
engine-setup for that - you mainly need to tell --deploy to not touch
iptables, and then handle that yourself.

Also, you can use the appliance without using cloud-init - then you can
do everything manually, and just save yourself from having to yum install
stuff inside the engine vm.

Best,
--
Didi