[ovirt-users] Windows Product Activation

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Dec 22 21:02:20 UTC 2016

Le 22/12/2016 à 17:26, Yaniv Kaul a écrit :
> Windows activation, at least for 2008 and below, depend on enough
> hardware changes to happen. Each HW (of non-pluggable devices) change
> is a single 'penalty' point - except for NIC (based on MAC address)
> which is more. 4 or so points - and it requires re-activation. This
> does not apply to KMS licenses.
>
> So unless you drastically change the hardware, you should be safe.
> Y.
Hello Yaniv,

When migrating, these VMs can jump from a recent hardware host to an
older one, with a different generation CPU (though of the same intel kind).

I read more about this WPA issue, and I also checked : all our licences
are MAK_B kind, which I read everywhere that they should not induce such
WPA trouble, once they are correctly registered (which I obviously take
care of).
I also read the list of components that are checked to create a hashed
key linked to the licence.
As you wrote, changing to many components is triggering a validity break.

Knowing this, may I ask you to comment on the promising "VM Custom
Serial Number" Alex was talking about : it sounded perfect, but
eventually not enough to cope with the hardware change?

--
Nicolas ECARNOT