[ovirt-users] Why difference between upgrade paths 3.6 to 4.0.x between RHEV and oVirt?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 16:10:44 UTC 2016

Hello,
in June 2016 oVirt 4.0.0 GA was released and I in-place upgraded from an
existing 3.6.5 to it.
In 4.0.0 release notes it was described as the method to use.
I see that it still remains the same for 4.0.5:
http://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.5/
and also for upcoming 4.0.6 (RC5 at least) there is not yet anything
special:
http://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.6/

Instead, if I go and read the RHEV 4.0 documentation I notice:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/4.0/paged/upgrade-guide/32-upgrading-to-red-hat-virtualization-manager-40

"
Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.0 is only supported on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 7. A clean installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Red Hat
Virtualization Manager 4.0 is required, even if you are using the same
physical machine used to run Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager 3.6.
The upgrade process involves restoring Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
Manager 3.6 backup files onto the Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.0
machine.
"

Is there any particular technical reason for this substantial difference?
Clearly they are not the same sw but it seems strange to me this
discrepancy.

Suppose I have a mix of oVirt and RHEV environments it could be simpler to
have a common path, where possible.

For example, can I also use the documented RHEV approach for oVirt? At what
extent?

Thanks
Gianluca