[ovirt-users] Why difference between upgrade paths 3.6 to 4.0.x between RHEV and oVirt?

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 16:38:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> in June 2016 oVirt 4.0.0 GA was released and I in-place upgraded from an
> existing 3.6.5 to it.
> In 4.0.0 release notes it was described as the method to use.
> I see that it still remains the same for 4.0.5:
> http://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.5/
> and also for upcoming 4.0.6 (RC5 at least) there is not yet anything
> special:
> http://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.6/
>
> Instead, if I go and read the RHEV 4.0 documentation I notice:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-
> virtualization/4.0/paged/upgrade-guide/32-upgrading-to-
> red-hat-virtualization-manager-40
>
> "
> Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.0 is only supported on Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 7. A clean installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Red Hat
> Virtualization Manager 4.0 is required, even if you are using the same
> physical machine used to run Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager 3.6.
> The upgrade process involves restoring Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
> Manager 3.6 backup files onto the Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.0
> machine.
> "
>
> Is there any particular technical reason for this substantial difference?

Ciao Gianluca,
the point is that RHEV-M 3.6 has never been released for RHEL7 but just for
RHEL6 while RHV-M 4.0 is available only for RHEL7 so you have for sure to
replace your OS before installing RHV-M and so the backup/restore procedure.
Upstream it's different because oVirt engine 3.6 was already available on
el7 so, just in that case, you can simple upgrade in place.

Clearly they are not the same sw but it seems strange to me this
> discrepancy.
>
> Suppose I have a mix of oVirt and RHEV environments it could be simpler to
> have a common path, where possible.
>
> For example, can I also use the documented RHEV approach for oVirt? At
> what extent?

The in-place upgrade is a lot simpler and fast and so definitively
recommended if available but technically nothing is preventing you from
upgrading from oVirt engine 3.6 to oVirt engine 4.0 reinstalling the OS and
restoring a backup there.
A tool to migrate an hosted-engine env from a VM with 3.6/el6 to 4.0/el7 is
also available:
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/hosted-engine-migration-to-4-0/
Also in that case, if you are already on el7, it's by far easier to simply
upgrade in place.