[ovirt-users] importing existing storage domain

Charles Kozler charles at fixflyer.com
Tue Feb 2 13:25:42 UTC 2016

Say I have backed up a storage domain to another NFS. I now want to restore
that backup. What would be the best method to restore all the disk images
on that domain? I have tried export domains and importing existing domains
but every time it says they are not empty and they "may be from somewhere
else". They are in fact from somewhere else but that is somewhat the point
of the exercise

I am attempting to simulate a restore-from-backup (basically just an rsync
of the entire storage domain to an offsite location) and its not going as
planned. I have all the VM images and can ensure they are all in tact but
ovirt refuses to acknowledge it

I have also tried setting up a new storage domain and then copying the
backup images directory to the new images directory under the newly
established storage domain. ovirt sees the used space go down but does not
reference / acknowledge / view any of the data actually there unless it
creates it itself

How can I restore an rsync backup of a storage domain? I am feeling like
there isnt a way to readily do it so if not, how can I restore these backed
up images?

--

*Charles Kozler*
*Vice President, IT Operations*

FIX Flyer, LLC
225 Broadway | Suite 1600 | New York, NY 10007
1-888-349-3593
http://www.fixflyer.com <http://fixflyer.com>

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT ONLY FOR THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT(S) OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
WHICH IS PROPRIETARY TO FIX FLYER LLC.  ANY UNAUTHORIZED USE, COPYING,
DISTRIBUTION, OR DISSEMINATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  ALL RIGHTS TO THIS
INFORMATION IS RESERVED BY FIX FLYER LLC.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER BY REPLY E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS
E-MAIL FROM YOUR SYSTEM AND DESTROY ANY COPIES.