[ovirt-users] Mixing CPU types

Matthew Trent Matthew.Trent at lewiscountywa.gov
Thu Feb 4 16:29:56 UTC 2016

Sure would be a nice feature, though! It would simplify things for those of us who build out of re-purposed Windows servers (still a lot of life left in them for Linux applications!) and end up with a mix of CPUs. For most of my VMs I don't need the latest and greatest CPU features, but being able to consolidate my hosts into fewer clusters would be really useful.

Like you said, oVirt already allows mixing CPU generations by selecting the lowest common denominator CPU type -- as long as you stick to Intel or AMD. It's a similar scenario, and the KVM stuff seems well established. Just expose some additional "generic" CPU types, per the KVM docs, and allow mixed clusters...

--
Matthew Trent
Network Engineer