[ovirt-users] Consolidating LUNs in iSCSI storage domain

Elad Ben Aharon ebenahar at redhat.com
Sun Feb 7 09:36:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

While the storage domain is active and the VMs are running, data is written
to the disks located on this storage domain. Hence, your suggestion might
cause data corruption. Anyway, it's not supported.

>From the doc:
"Update existing connection (PUT) It will only be possible to update
connection details when all storage domains referencing it are in
maintenance mode..."

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi and thanks for the response
>
> Is there any way that this could be done without putting the entire
> datacenter (and I assume shutting done all the VMs) into maintenance mode?
>
> I was thinking along the lines of:
> - Put all hosts except for the the SPM into maintenance mode
> - Determine which LUNs match to the "/dev/dm-*" devices that the three I
> want to remove (rhev-data01, rhev-data02, rhev-data03)
> - Determine which LUN matches the "/dev/dm-*" devices that I want to keep (
> rhev-data04)
> - pvmove rhev-data01 rhev-data04
> - pvmove rhev-data02 rhev-data04
> - pvmove rhev-data03 rhev-data04
>
> The pvmove commands above for illustration only, I know thats not how the
> LUNs would be called.
>
> Does that look like it would work?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Elad Ben Aharon <ebenahar at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> oVirt allows such operations using this feature [1].
>> Basically, while the storage domain is deactivated (maintenance status),
>> you'll have to replicate all the data to the fourth LUN (from the storage
>> server side), replace the storage connections of this storage domain from
>> RHEVM REST API (explained in [1]) and to activate the domain.
>>

>> [1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Manage_Storage_Connections
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> In one of our RHEV setups (v3.5.4) the iSCSI storage domain consists of
>>> four LUNs.  (full details in the attached text file).
>>>
>>> I want to consolidate all the data on LUNs
>>> iqn.2003-10.com.lefthandnetworks:iscsi:341:rhev-data01
>>> qn.2003-10.com.lefthandnetworks:iscsi:453:rhev-data02