[ovirt-users] Manually assign DC and Cluster to Blank template

Nicolás nicolas at devels.es
Thu Feb 18 20:19:02 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

El 18/02/16 a las 18:36, Greg Padgett escribió:
> On 02/18/2016 02:49 AM, nicolas at devels.es wrote:

>>> Hi Nicolás,
>>>
>>> Removing the default cluster should be ok, since the templates don't
>>> bind VMs to a DC/Cluster--you should be able to specify the DC/Cluster
>>> when creating a VM.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Greg
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I'll elaborate a bit further on the issue. I'm attaching a screenshot of
>> the 'Templates' tab on the webadmin pane - As you can see, all of them
>> have a Data Center and a Cluster assigned (columns 4 and 5) but the
>> Blank template (because we deleted the default DC). Even if this
>> template has the 'Everyone' permission, as we're granting permissions to
>> our users on the Data Center, they are not able to see the Blank
>> template in the list when deploying new machines in the userportal view,
>> so currently they necessarily need to choose a template from the list
>> which is not Blank, and that's an issue to some of them.
>>
>> That's why I was wondering if there's a manual way to assign the DC and
>> Cluster to the Blank template, even modifying it directly in the DB, so
>> the users see it in the userportal.
>>
>> Any hint is very appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nicolás
>>

> The default template is unbound to a DC/Cluster by design, so while
> forcing an assignment in the db could work (not sure), it's not
> supported and likely to break at some point.  See [1] for details on
> that 3.6 change.
>
> However, since the root issue seems to be users not being able to use
> the template, you should be able to assign permissions that allow this
> from the Templates > Permissions sub-tab.  If this isn't working, it
> could be a bug.
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/blank-to-defaults/

Oh, now I see. Indeed, I was able to see the template in the side
'Template' tab, but unable to see it when deploying a machine. I
realized that for some reason the Blank template missed the
UserTemplateBasedVm permission (most probably someone accidentally
deleted it), so I added it back and now I can see it.

Thanks very much for the insight.

Regards,

Nicolás