[ovirt-users] Run Once install -> reboot loop

Jamie Lawrence jlawrence at squaretrade.com
Fri Feb 19 18:23:02 UTC 2016

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 11:45 PM, René Koch <rkoch at rk-it.at> wrote:
>
> Hi Jamie,
>
> That reason for this is, that the iso will be mounted as long as you're in run once mode.
>
> You can fix this by powering off your vm after the installation and run it again in "normal" mode. As you don't want to run the vm in run once mode forever, you have to shut it down anyway.

But it seems that this has worked for me in the past, when I was creating these through the GUI. In other words, after the OS installer reboots, it would correctly reboot in “normal” mode. Am I hallucinating that?

In any case, I’m sure there’s a power-off API method, but I’m not sure how to reliably detect when to call it. I could do something hacky like call my own API endpoint as the last action of the installer somehow (I know how to with Debian, and I’m sure the RH family can do it as well), but that seems fragile.

Maybe hack the installer to power power off instead of reboot, and detect that? I hate the idea of having to fork/maintain my own installer patches...

What do other people do for automating this situation?

-j