[ovirt-users] macvlan + IPv6

Jay Turner jkt at iix.net
Mon Feb 22 22:51:34 UTC 2016

Hoping someone can help with a problem my team is seeing under oVirt.

We are making heavy use of macvlan interfaces (in VEPA mode) on-top of
virtual functions, under VMs being managed by oVirt.  In this scenario IPv6
is not playing nicely, with no traffic going through, and messages about
neighbor solicitation.  There are some pointers out there indicating the
issue stems from the fact IPv6 utilizing multicast for neighbor
solicitation, but nothing we have tried seems to work around this issue.

The problem is made all the most bizarre by the fact that on the same
hardware libvirt + virt-manager works perfectly fine.  I have looked at the
corresponding xml for the guests, and nothing seems to point to the
underlying cause for oVirt to fail, but libvirt to succeed.

* Intel XL710 40G NICs (i40e/i40evf drivers)
* CentOS 7.1 (fully up-to-date)
* oVirt 3.6
* libvirt-1.2.17
* virt-manager-1.2.1-8

Thanks for any pointers folks can provide.

- jkt