[ovirt-users] engine-backup - readlink: missing operand

Halsey, Michael michael.halsey at intechnologywifi.com
Tue Feb 23 11:44:14 UTC 2016

Michael Halsey
Dev Ops Engineer - intechnologyWiFi
michael.halsey at intechnologywifi.com
Direct 01423 510650
Mobile 07467 145626
Head Office 01423 510510

Hi All,

I’m having issues using the engine-backup command.

When running:

engine-backup --mode=backup --scope=files —file=veng.bak --log backup.log

Please try '--log=backup.log' (with '=').

That was unfortunately only a typo in the email. And not when running the actual command.

You have an EM DASH (U+2014) instead of two HYPHEN-MINUS (U+002D) in front of 'file='.

I suspect that my Outlook client for Mac has done that.

Where did you copy that command from?

From my command line.
I have attached the command including the entire output in plaintext.

I get back the following error:

readlink: missing operand

Try 'readlink --help' for more information.

/usr/bin/engine-backup: line 1405: : No such file or directory

Notifying engine

/usr/bin/engine-backup: line 1472: : No such file or directory

/usr/bin/engine-backup: line 1405: : No such file or directory

FATAL: Failed notifying engine

Log file is not created.

I receive similar errors when changing the scope to ‘all' and ‘db'.

I’m running:

CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)

oVirt Engine Version: 3.6.2.6-1.el7.centos

Engine is running on bare metal.

I have tried this with SELinux in Permissive mode. No difference.

All packages are up to date.

Can anyone advise a fix for this or if I’m doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Halsey
Dev Ops Engineer - intechnologyWiFi
michael.halsey at intechnologywifi.com<mailto:michael.halsey at intechnologywifi.com>
Direct 01423 510650
Mobile 07467 145626
Head Office 01423 510510

[X]

This is an email from inTechnology plc, Cardale House, Cardale Court, Beckwith Head Road, Harrogate, UK, HG3 1RY.
Registered in England 3916586.

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. If you have received this message in error, you may not use, disclose, copy or distribute its content in any way. Please notify the sender immediately. All messages are scanned for all viruses.

Didi

--
Didi