[ovirt-users] OVirt Node / RHEV-H and Multiple NICs/bond

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 13:16:42 UTC 2016

Hey Christopher,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Christopher Young
<mexigabacho at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I have what I think should be a standard setup where I have
> dedicated NICs (to be bonded via LACP for storage) and well are NICs
> for various VLANS, etc.
>
> As typical, I have the main system interfaces for the usual system IPs
> (em1 in this case).
>
> A couple of observations (and a "chicken and the egg problem"):
>
> #1.  The RHEV-H/Ovirt-Node interface doesn't allow you to configure
> more than one interface.  Why is this?

This is by design. The idea is that you use the TUI to configure the
initial NIC, all subsequent configuration will be done trough Engine.

> #2.  This prevents me from bringing up an interface for access to my
> Netapp SAN (which I keep on separate networking/VLANs for
> best-practices purposes)
>
> If I'm unable to bring up a regular system interface AND an interface
> for my storage, then how am I going to be able to install a RHEV-M
> (engine) hosted-engine VM since I would be either unable to have an
> interface for this VM's IP AND be able to connect to my storage
> network.
>
> In short, I'm confused.  I see this as a very standard enterprise
> setup so I feel like I must be missing something obvious.  If someone
> could educate me, I'd really appreciate it.

This is a valid point - you can not configure Ndoe from the TUI to
connect to more than two networks.

What you can do however is to temporarily setup a route between the
two networks to bootstrap Node. After setup you can use Engine to
configure another nic on Node to access the storage network.

The other option I see is to drop to shell and manually configure the
second NIC by creating an ifcfg file.

Note: In future we plan that you can use Cockpit to configure
networking - this will also allow you to configure multiple NICs.

Greetings
- fabian

> Thanks,
> CHris