[ovirt-users] oVirt New Install

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Feb 28 09:31:06 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Brett I. Holcomb <biholcomb at l1049h.com> wrote:
> #4 - finally decided to add new storage from another iSCSI LUN and suddenly
> the DC was running!  The local storage (#1), ISO Domain (#2) suddenly are
> available.  This is definitely non-intuitive behaviour.  i can't see why the
> DC has to have additional storage added to make it work.  It already has
> it's storage - which is available for use  when creating VMS.  The DC should
> just come up and if there is an issue putting VMs on the host_storage (space
> issues maybe?) then it shouldn't be allowed as a choice when creating a VM
> or there should be a message about not enough space.  Well, now I know I can
> work with it and just wonder why it was designed this way.  Very strange.

This is how it currently works.

This is because the hosted_storage domain can't be used as the "master
storage domain", and such as master is required for many things.

Did this solve all your problems? If not, please:
1. Try again with 3.6.3, which should be out in a few days, or the latest
RC [1].
2. If you still have problems, please state versions of OSes and whatever
other relevant tools, and post (links to) full logs of both the host and
the engine:
/var/log/ovirt*
/var/log/vdsm*

[1] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-February/038125.html

Best regards,

> [...]
> works.
>
> 1.  I used an iSCSI LUN on a NAS for storage during the deploy install but
> this storage does not show up in the admin portal list of storages.  Is it
> supposed to?  It's being used as it now has 3+ our of 50 gig used.
>
> 2. I used a local directory on the VM for an initial ISO domain but it does
> not show up in the admin portal.  I have more than 15 Gig of space
> available.  Shouldn't it be showing up in the list of storages?  I tested
> using this
> (http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-nfs-storage-issues/)
> and from the host I can mount the engine's exported directory and create a
> file in it as the vdsm user.
>
> 3. My host wants confirmation it's rebooted which it has been both with
> hosted-engine vm-shutdown/vm-start, and rebooting from within the engine.
> If I tell it to confirm I get the message below.  Well, it's status is
> running.  i can't connect when it's connecting or non-operational!!  I've
> put the system into maintenance mode with hosted-engine commands, I used the
> context menu on the hosted-engine vm in the portal to put it into
> maintenance but it still refuses to confirm it's rebooted.  Any ideas on how
> to get it confirmed.  I've also rebooted the hosted-engine host with no
> change.
>
> "Error while executing action: Cannot confirm 'Host has been rebooted' Host.
> Valid Host statuses are "Non operational", "Maintenance" or "Connecting"."
>
> 4.  My Default Data Center is uninitialized which is probably why nothing
> works.  If I use guide me and attach the hosted_engine choice it tells me it
> cannot acquire a host id.  I restarted the sanlock service and then when I
> attached the storage the dialog hung up spinning it's wheel and never
> returned.  I restarted the VM from hosted-engine and still get the
> AcquireHostId failure.  The iSCSI lun is being used and accessed by the
> engine as there is 3+ gig of space used.  If I try and attach the
> hosted_engine storage the icon changes to a wrench, then back to the red
> down arrow and I get the error about not acquiring a host id.  What host id?
> I only have one host!  I've reinitialized the lockspace all with no effect.
> The /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine.log has this error.  What invalid argument?
> I've seen some bug reports on this but they are back in version 3.3 or so
> and are supposed to be fixed.
>
> Command
> 'org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.AddStoragePoolWithStoragesCommand' f
> ailed: EngineException:
> org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.VDSErrorException: VDSGenericExcep
> tion: VDSErrorException: Failed to CreateStoragePoolVDS, error = Cannot
> acquire host id: ('1d26d977-
> 0a67-43ab-bfb8-462cea95029a', SanlockException(22, 'Sanlock lockspace add
> failure', 'Invalid argumen
> t')), code = 661 (Failed with error AcquireHostIdFailure and code 661)

Didi