[ovirt-users] oVirt New Install

Brett I. Holcomb biholcomb at l1049h.com
Sun Feb 28 19:48:43 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-02-28 at 11:31 +0200, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Brett I. Holcomb
> om> wrote:
> > #4 - finally decided to add new storage from another iSCSI LUN and
> > suddenly
> > the DC was running!  The local storage (#1), ISO Domain (#2)
> > suddenly are
> > available.  This is definitely non-intuitive behaviour.  i can't
> > see why the
> > DC has to have additional storage added to make it work.  It
> > already has
> > it's storage - which is available for use  when creating VMS.  The
> > DC should
> > just come up and if there is an issue putting VMs on the
> > host_storage (space
> > issues maybe?) then it shouldn't be allowed as a choice when
> > creating a VM
> > or there should be a message about not enough space.  Well, now I
> > know I can
> > work with it and just wonder why it was designed this way.  Very
> > strange.
>
> This is how it currently works.
>
> This is because the hosted_storage domain can't be used as the
> "master
> storage domain", and such as master is required for many things.

That makes some sense.  I'd suggest that there be some indication that
we need to add a master storage domain.
Is the master storage domain the same one used to store VMs or can it
be a separate domain which is used only as the master and VMs go
elsewhere.  Does is need a minimum amount of storage space?
> Did this solve all your problems? If not, please:
> 1. Try again with 3.6.3, which should be out in a few days, or the latest
> RC [1].
> 2. If you still have problems, please state versions of OSes and whatever
> other relevant tools, and post (links to) full logs of both the host and
> the engine:
> /var/log/ovirt*
> /var/log/vdsm*
>
> [1] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-February/038125.html

Once I got the Data Center initialized things all fell into place and
it's working.  The confirm reboot issue I think is because it's a menu
entry that shows up whether or not the confirmation is needed and I
thought it might have been an issue when I was troubleshooting.
Currently my issues are due to running the oVirth Host and engine on a
guest hosted on VMware Workstation on a Windows PC with limited memory
<G>.  But it's enough to do some testing and get ready to replace ESXi
on my physical server.   As always there is a learning curve when
moving to a new product and oVirt/RHEV looks like a worthy alternative
to VMware, MS, etc.  I will check out the new release and definitely
use it on the server.
Thank you for your help.