[ovirt-users] virt-v2v converting multi-disk

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 29 12:24:07 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 01:44:19PM +0200, Moran Goldboim wrote:
> +Richard, v2v maintainer.
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Clint Boggio <clint at theboggios.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of migrating a series of VM's from  KVM environment, to
> > an OVirt environment. I've used virt-v2v to convert quite a few M$ and
> > Linux machines with great success.

You don't really need to use virt-v2v when the guest already runs on
KVM.  The latest oVirt supports direct import of disk images, and
there is also my import script for older versions of oVirt which
didn't have this feature:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=import-to-ovirt.git;a=summary

Nevertheless I'll answer the rest of these questions because it's an
interesting topic for people importing from other hypervisors ...

> > Coming up I've got to convert a Linux VM that has 3 virtual disks. Inside
> > that VM, the three disks are part of an LVM volume.
> >
> > 1. How will virt-v2v handle these three virtual disks ?

Should just work.

> > 2. On which disk image will I run virt-v2v ?

On all 3 :-)  Are you using `-i disk' input mode?  That only supports a
single disk, but you can use `-i libvirtxml' mode instead, and then
you can specify as many input disks as you want:

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#minimal-xml-for--i-libvirtxml-option

> > 3. Will virt-v2v "follow" the three images and convert the machine or will
> > I have to somehow tell it to include all three disks ?

You always have to tell virt-v2v.

> > 4. Shall I have all three images together in the same directory when I run
> > the tool ?

With `-i libvirtxml' it doesn't matter.  You specify the XML file, and
that contains references to the disks.

> > 5. Is this the appropriate forum for this question ?

Yup.

Rich.