[ovirt-users] oVirt New Install

Brett I. Holcomb biholcomb at l1049h.com
Sat Feb 27 23:01:22 UTC 2016

I am in the process of testing oVirt to replace ESXi 6 and have run
into some issues that I haven't found answers to.  I've used ESXi for
quite a while and done some work with Microsoft's Hypervisor but am new
to oVirt.  It looks like it has potential to replace the others but
there are some major issues I'm trying to work through.  I'm using a
hosted-engine deployment.  The host is a guest on VMware Workstation 11
on Windows.  Not the best but it lets me test oVirt.

I've created the VM, the engine is installed, the webadmin works, and I
can SSH to it but I'm seeing some things that I haven't been able to
find answers to so any help is appreciated.  I'm using DNS to resolve
and both the engine and host can ping each other, reverse lookup on
their names works.

1.  I used an iSCSI LUN on a NAS for storage during the deploy install
but this storage does not show up in the admin portal list of storages.
 Is it supposed to?  It's being used as it now has 3+ our of 50 gig
used.

2. I used a local directory on the VM for an initial ISO domain but it
does not show up in the admin portal.  I have more than 15 Gig of space
available.  Shouldn't it be showing up in the list of storages?  I
tested using this (http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/troublesho
oting/troubleshooting-nfs-storage-issues/) and from the host I can
mount the engine's exported directory and create a file in it as the
vdsm user.

3. My host wants confirmation it's rebooted which it has been both with
hosted-engine vm-shutdown/vm-start, and rebooting from within the
engine.  If I tell it to confirm I get the message below.  Well, it's
status is running.  i can't connect when it's connecting or non-
operational!!  I've put the system into maintenance mode with hosted-
engine commands, I used the context menu on the hosted-engine vm in the
portal to put it into maintenance but it still refuses to confirm it's
rebooted.  Any ideas on how to get it confirmed.  I've also rebooted
the hosted-engine host with no change.

"Error while executing action: Cannot confirm 'Host has been rebooted'

Host. Valid Host statuses are "Non operational", "Maintenance" or
"Connecting"."

4.  My Default Data Center is uninitialized which is probably why
nothing works.  If I use guide me and attach the hosted_engine choice
it tells me it cannot acquire a host id.  I restarted the sanlock
service and then when I attached the storage the dialog hung up
spinning it's wheel and never returned.  I restarted the VM from
hosted-engine and still get the AcquireHostId failure.  The iSCSI lun
is being used and accessed by the engine as there is 3+ gig of space
used.  If I try and attach the hosted_engine storage the icon changes
to a wrench, then back to the red down arrow and I get the error about
not acquiring a host id.  What host id?   I only have one host!  I've
reinitialized the lockspace all with no effect.  The /var/log/ovirt-
engine/engine.log has this error.  What invalid argument? I've seen
some bug reports on this but they are back in version 3.3 or so and are
supposed to be fixed.

Command
'org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.AddStoragePoolWithStoragesCommand' f
ailed: EngineException:
org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.VDSErrorException:
VDSGenericExcep
tion: VDSErrorException: Failed to CreateStoragePoolVDS, error = Cannot
acquire host id: ('1d26d977-
0a67-43ab-bfb8-462cea95029a', SanlockException(22, 'Sanlock lockspace
add failure', 'Invalid argumen
t')), code = 661 (Failed with error AcquireHostIdFailure and code 661)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.