[ovirt-users] Incremental virtual machine backups

Rudi von Staden rudivs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:08:22 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm evaluating oVirt as a replacement for VMware, and one of the factors
that I am struggling with is incremental VM backups. This is a requirement
in the current configuration, but I haven't found a way to do it with oVirt
as yet. It seems from my initial investigation that it might not be
possible at this stage?

I refer to the wiki (
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Backup-Restore_API_Integration#Incremental_Virtual_Machine_Backups)
which lists this feature under future work, and to a StackOverflow question
which remains unanswered (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29127855/how-to-setup-incremental-backups-on-ovirt
).

So my questions are
1) Can anyone confirm whether this feature exists yet, or whether there is
perhaps an unofficial way to get incremental backups,
2) If it's not possible to implement incremental backups, what other
approaches could work? Under VMware we currently take weekly full backups
of all VMs, and daily incremental backups.

I am considering using guest-level backups as an alternative approach, but
we would prefer to continue with our host-level backups if possible.

Thanks,
Rudi