[ovirt-users] What's going on open channel devices when migrating the Guest ?

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 09:51:50 UTC 2016

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 10:08 AM, Jean-Pierre Ribeauville <jpribeauville at axway.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m using a channel device between host and guest to exchange datas every 20 seconds.
>
> On the Guest size , there is an open /dev/virtio file on which we read continuously what’s
> sent by the host.
>
> My question is the following :
> When migrating the Guest to another host ,  and the migrating back to the first one ,
> the Guest software doesn’t receive anymore datas from the host unless I restart the Guest software to re-open the /dev/virtio file.
>
> Is there any way to detect in the Guest that migration has been done so we have to reopen  the file ?

Well you can look how we do it in the ovirt-guest-agent. But we’re not reopening the unix domain socket - We’re basically on read failure just rescheduling the read - That causes no problems after migrations - it just continues

Our python code for that is here: https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-guest-agent/blob/master/ovirt-guest-agent/VirtIoChannel.py

HTH