[ovirt-users] Windows 10 + qemu + Blue Iris = Blue screen

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 11:20:10 UTC 2016

> On 22 Jul 2016, at 22:58, Blaster <blaster at 556nato.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 22, 2016, at 4:27 AM, Michal Skrivanek <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 21 Jul 2016, at 20:05, Blaster <blaster at 556nato.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am running an application called Blue Iris which records video from IP cameras.
>>>
>>> This was working great under Ovirt 3.6.3 + Windows 7.  Now I’ve upgraded to Windows 10 and as soon as the Blue Iris service starts, the VM blue screens.
>>>
>>> I talked to the software vendor, and they said it’s not their problem, they aren’t doing anything that could cause a blue screen, so it must be  driver/memory/hardware problem.  They say the application works just fine under Windows 10.
>>>
>>> So thinking maybe the upgrade went bad, I created a new VM, used e1000 and IDE interfaces (i.e., no Virtualized hardware or drivers were used) and re-installed Blue Iris.
>>
>> I would expect better luck with virtio drivers. Either way, if it was working before and not working in Win10 it’s likely related to drivers. Can you make sure you try latest drivers? Can you pinpoint the blue screen…to perhaps USB or other subsystem?
>> Might be worth trying on clean Win10 install just to rule out upgrade issues (I didn’t understand whether you cloned the old VM and just reinstalled blue iris or reinstalled everything) , and if it still reproduces it is likely some low level incompatibility in QEMU/KVM. You would likely have to try experiment with qemu cmdline or use latest qemu and check the qemu mailing list
>>
>> Thanks,
>> michal
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> I did try a clean install.  Both an upgrade and a fresh install cause a blue screen.    How do I pin point the blue screen?  I’m guessing it’s a QEMU issue with Win 10.  I’m on Fed 22, how do I get a newer QEMU than what’s in the distribution?  or should I just
> upgrade to Fedora 24?

Hi,
As the next email in the thread mentions, worth trying different CPU family (make sure you dont’ use anything too old due like Conroe), or host CPU passthrough.
I would certainly suggest to try the qemu-kvm-rhev/ev since it focuses on stability. Try RHEL/CentOS host instead of Fedora.

Thanks,
michal