[ovirt-users] Storage types in oVirt

Fernando Frediani fernando.frediani at upx.com.br
Tue Jun 14 17:59:29 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I see that supported storage types in oVirt are: iSCSI, FCoE NFS, Local
and Gluster.
Specifically speaking about iSCSI and FCoE I see they use LVM on the
block storage level to store the Virtual Machines.

I just wanted to understand why the choice was to have LVM and if that
is the only option at the moment.

Was ever considered to have something like GFS2 ou OCFS2 in comparison
with VMFS5 and VMs running in qcow2 ou raw files on the top of it ?

I don't like LVM and have a strong preference for anything related to
storage that doesn't use it so the reason I'm looking for a different
way to use block storage without it having to be a LVM.

Thanks
Fernando