[ovirt-users] Storage types in oVirt

Fernando Frediani fernando.frediani at upx.com.br
Tue Jun 14 20:23:05 UTC 2016

Hi Nir,
Thanks for clarification.

Answering your questions: The intent was to use a Posix like filesystem
similar to VMFS5 (GFS2, OCFS2, or other) where you have no choice for
how the block storage is presented to multiple servers. Yes I heard
about GFS2 escalation issues in the past, but thought it had been gone
now a days, it seems not.

I had the impression that qcow2 images have both thin-provisioning and
snapshot capabilities.

Regarding LVM I don't like the idea of having VMs buried into a LVM
volume nor the idea of troubleshooting LVM volumes when necessary.
Dealing with qcow2 images for every VM separately makes things much
easier for doing several tasks. I would say that people coming from
VMware would prefer to deal with a VMDK rather than a RDM LUN. In the
other hand I have nothing to say about LVM performance.

Best
Fernando