[ovirt-users] Storage types in oVirt

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 19:35:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Fernando Frediani
<fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I see that supported storage types in oVirt are: iSCSI, FCoE NFS, Local and
> Gluster.

We support iSCSI, FC, FCoE, NFS, Gluster, Ceph, Local and any posix like
shared file system.

> Specifically speaking about iSCSI and FCoE I see they use LVM on the block
> storage level to store the Virtual Machines.

To be more specific, we use lvm to create volumes. Each virtual machine disk
use one volume and additional volume for each snapshot.

> I just wanted to understand why the choice was to have LVM

What would use use instead?

> and if that is
> the only option at the moment.

This is the only option for block storage if you need snapshots or thin
provisioning.

If preallocated disk without snapshots is good enough for you, you
can attach a LUN directly to a vm. This will give the best performance.

> Was ever considered to have something like GFS2 ou OCFS2 in comparison with
> VMFS5 and VMs running in qcow2 ou raw files on the top of it ?

Any posix compatible file system can be used, using raw or qcow2 files.

You can use GFS2, but I heard that it does not scale well.

> I don't like LVM and have a strong preference for anything related to
> storage that doesn't use it so the reason I'm looking for a different way to
> use block storage without it having to be a LVM.

You can use one of the file based storage options, or ceph.

Whats wrong with lvm?

Nir