[ovirt-users] [ovirt-announce] [ANN] oVirt 4.0.0 GA postponed to Monday, June 20

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 19:38:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> Can someone explain what makes ovirt 4.0 a major release, comparing to the
> previous ones?
> Over than 1 year to release the minor 3.6 release, and only 8 months for
> 4.0...

There are hundreds of small to medium features that went in, but I'll give
you the few highlights:
- Vastly improved live migration performance. I mean, really, really fast
live migration, with customizable policies.
- Completely new dashboard - would be VERY happy get feedback on it
(attached a sample from my own small Lago based setup).
- Completely new ovirt-node. With Cockpit based management. Really cool.
- Image uploader - from the UI!
- v4 API (cleaner, with improved performance)
- Ruby SDK
- Support for atomic guests (and report about containers running in them)
- Deploy additional hosts for Hosted-Engine - from the UI
- Improvements to hyper-converged (with Gluster) setups
- Import of libvirt VMs (using virt-v2v)
- MAC anti-spoofing - now per interface, not global
- FCoE support (via VDSM hook)

And ~100 more improvements, smaller ones, or just major that I forgot to
mention.
In addition, we have many underlying 'construction work', that we believe
improve stability, maintenance, scale & performance. Some are building
blocks towards features we'll fully support when EL 7.3 comes out (as we
depend on some qemu-kvm features), some are preparation for features that
will come in subsequent releases.
Y.