[ovirt-users] Two ovirt-engine manage one hypervisor

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 06:29:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Sandvik Agustin
>> <agustinsandvik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi users,
>> >
>> > Good day, is it possible to configure two ovirt-engine to manage one
>> > hypervisor? My purpose for this is what if the first ovirt-engine fails,
>> > still have the 2nd ovirt-engine to manage hypervisor.
>> >
>> > is this possible? or any suggestion similar to my purpose?
>>
>> The "normal" solution is hosted-engine, which has HA - the engine
>> runs in a VM, and HA daemons monitor it and the hosts, and if there
>> is a problem they can start it on another host.
>>
>> There were discussions in the past, which you can find in the list
>> archives,
>> about running two engines against a single database, and current bottom
>> line
>> is that it's not supported, will not work, and iiuc will require some
>> significant development investment to support.
>>
>> You might manage to have an active/passive solution - install an engine
>> on two machines, configure both to use the same remote database, but
>> make sure only one of them is active at any given time. Not sure if that's
>> considered "fully supported", but might come close.
>

> That's not enough - they need to share the same set of certificates...

Best is to simply clone the machine after initial setup then change
what's needed, or backup/restore only files (engine-backup --mode=backup
--scope=files).

Didn't check, but I do not think they actually need all the certs of
all hosts - that is, that it's not mandatory to keep /etc/pki synced
between them after initial setup. Didn't try that myself.

> Y.
>

>> You can find on the net docs/resources about creating a redundant
>> postgresql cluster.
>>
>> Best,
>> --
>> Didi