[ovirt-users] Two ovirt-engine manage one hypervisor

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 08:17:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Michal Skrivanek
<michal.skrivanek at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2016, at 09:07, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> even when you make it work when cert issues are sorted out, you need to be
> very careful not to bring both engines up managing a same host, they will
> fight over it and the monitoring is going to be received only by one of the
> engines, which in turn may cause HA VMs restart and split brains all over
> the place.

And, IIRC from previous discussions, also internal caches etc.

But this is not something specific to ovirt-engine - many services
have similar restrictions, and common clustering tools allow handling
them.

>> > That's not enough - they need to share the same set of certificates...
>>
>> Best is to simply clone the machine after initial setup then change
>> what's needed, or backup/restore only files (engine-backup --mode=backup
>> --scope=files).
>>
>> Didn't check, but I do not think they actually need all the certs of
>> all hosts - that is, that it's not mandatory to keep /etc/pki synced
>> between them after initial setup. Didn't try that myself.
>

> I'm not sure what happens when you provision a host from Mgmt A, then move
> to Mgmt B and provision another from it:
> 1. Mgmt A won't be aware of that host, from cert req perspective. May not be
> such a big deal - donno.
>
> 2. Can Mgmt A provision another host? Need to ensure the certificate serial
> numbers are OK, etc.
>
> They really need to share the CA DB.

Even keeping /etc/pki synced, or mounted from each one before
starting the engine and umounting when stopping, should not be
too hard.

> The backup-restore sounds like good approach  to me.
> Y.
>

>> > Y.

>> --
>> Didi