[ovirt-users] Two ovirt-engine manage one hypervisor

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 08:32:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Piotr Kliczewski
<piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> You had to test it with 3.5. In 3.6+ we support more clients so the
> connection drop would be not the issue anymore.
>
> There are number of logical issues that would make your env not usable
> like Michal mentioned. Assuming at least two hosts it could happen
> that different hosts would become SPM for different engines.
> Engine is not designed to coexist with other engine and I suggest to
> not take this path.

Even two engines that something external (clustering tool) prevents them
from running in parallel? With same database?

> You may want to consider using hosted engine or
> use standalone engine which is able to recover after a crash.

Already mentioned, but I understand people that want to explore
other options. In principle it might provide faster reaction to
failure, depending on implementation.

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Michal Skrivanek
>> <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> even when you make it work when cert issues are sorted out, you need to be
>>> very careful not to bring both engines up managing a same host, they will
>>> fight over it and the monitoring is going to be received only by one of the
>>> engines, which in turn may cause HA VMs restart and split brains all over
>>> the place.
>>
>> And, IIRC from previous discussions, also internal caches etc.
>>
>> But this is not something specific to ovirt-engine - many services
>> have similar restrictions, and common clustering tools allow handling
>> them.

>>> I'm not sure what happens when you provision a host from Mgmt A, then move
>>> to Mgmt B and provision another from it:
>>> 1. Mgmt A won't be aware of that host, from cert req perspective. May not be
>>> such a big deal - donno.
>>>
>>> 2. Can Mgmt A provision another host? Need to ensure the certificate serial
>>> numbers are OK, etc.
>>>
>>> They really need to share the CA DB.
>>
>> Even keeping /etc/pki synced, or mounted from each one before
>> starting the engine and umounting when stopping, should not be
>> too hard.
>>
>>> The backup-restore sounds like good approach  to me.
>>> Y.

>> --
>> Didi

Didi