[ovirt-users] VDI experience to share?

Alexis HAUSER alexis.hauser at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Jun 17 08:33:56 UTC 2016

>we were looking for a  prepackaged solution because of the lack of
>human resources to devote to the project.
>But if pursuing this research becomes too exhausting we would probably
>develop a linux solution and in that case the kind of terminal you
>suggested is interesting indeed.

Hi, I'm currently trying to find a solution based on linux too.
If you're interested in details about my research and tests, I can make you a summary :
On most linux thin client distributions, spicec and spicy are intergrated. Sadly, they are not real spice clients.
As you can find on the spice documentation "spicec is an obsolete legacy client, and spicy is only a test application".
The only real Spice client yet is remote-viewer (part of virt-viewer package), by default it works with VNC, but if you want it also to support spice, you need spice-client-gtk (the name of this package can maybe vary betweem distributions).

Before developing a solution, you should maybe check Thinstation, which is a prepackaged solution that make you able to create your own ISO files for client. I made once some 65 MB client images. Yet it support very well RDP, ICA and VNC.
The only bad point with his solution is the fact remote-viewer and spice-client gtk aren't integrated yet. But it should be integrated soon (I'll work on that when I'll have time) but you can still compile it. However, it takes time to understand how to deal with Thinstation, but the result is really impressive.

There are also some other solutions like Netpoldo, but it's using old debian/ubuntu versions and doesn't seem to be still really alive... (and old remote-viewer versions don't really work properly, or when it does there is no sound, cf debian jessie)

I hope this helps. I'll try to post here when I will have a working setup from client side. I guess this is still in the topic as Giorgio was asking for sharing experience :)