[ovirt-users] VDI experience to share?

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 15:17:04 UTC 2016

> On 15 Jun 2016, at 17:21, Giorgio Bersano <giorgio.bersano at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On 15 Jun 2016, at 12:18, Giorgio Bersano <giorgio.bersano at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I've been asked to deploy a VDI solution based on our oVirt infrastructure.
>>> What we have in production is a 3.6 manager (standalone, not HE) with
>>> a 3.5 cluster (CentOS 6) and a 3.6 cluster (CentOS 7), iSCSI storage,
>>> fully redundant networking.
>>>
>>> What is not clear to me is the client side, especially because we have
>>> been asked to implement a thin client solution but I've been almost
>>> unable to find suitable devices.
>>
>> if that client can still be a PC, albeit diskless, it’s still easier and probably cheaper than any other special hw.
>
> That's a worrying statement, we were explicitly asked for thin clients
> (low power, low noise, small form factor).

well, if it’s a requirement then it is perhaps worth it to look for them a bit more.
Though I would personally try to look for something looking as a thin client but being a “normal” desktop, and load it with a cut-down Linux (or Windows, whatever you fancy) and use remote-viewer. Better performance, better control, likely cheaper. I’m sure there are people stuffing a raspberry pi into a plastic box, charging $500, calling it a thin client:)

>>> Is there anyone in this list willing to share his/her experience on
>>> this topic? Probably my search skill is low but I've only seen
>>> references to IGEL. Other brands?

There are others, but indeed IGEL is probably the most prominent
In general the support matrix for oVirt would be the same as for corresponding RHEV version, so check with vendors.

>> not that i know of, and even that one had (or still have?) some issues with SPICE performance as it’s not kept up to date
>
> That's even more worrisome.

depends what you need, if it’s nothing fancy it may be sufficient enough and provide good experience

Thanks,
michal