[ovirt-users] direct mounting of vm disks?

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Sun Jun 26 04:40:47 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm using oVirt 3.5.x w/nfs for vm file storage. I'm trying to restore a vm
from backup, which entails:

 - scp backup.tar to vm
 - untar backup on vm

this means all the data makes 3 trips over the network, each of which
causes a load spike on my nfs server. That nfs load, of course, affects all
other vms.

what I'd like to be able to do is

 - scp backup.tar to nfs server
 - stop vm
 - mount vm disks on nfs server
 - untar backup on nfs server (using ionice to minimze load impact)
 - unmount vm disks
 - start vm

I remember that I used to use kpartx to mount regular KVM disks, so I'm
hoping that it can also be done here. Anyone else tried to make this work?

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons