[ovirt-users] direct mounting of vm disks?

Scott romracer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:27:24 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,

I've modified disk images for oVirt virtual machines before.  I mostly run
servers so they all use preallocated as opposed to thin provisioned disks.
I'm not sure if that matters, but it means my VM disk images are raw files
(as opposed to qcow).  Therefore, I used something like the following guide
to get into the disk image.  These directions don't use kpartx or
libguestfs, but I guess those would work too.  I think it goes without
saying, your VM should be off before you modify its disk without its
knowledge.

https://major.io/2010/12/14/mounting-a-raw-partition-file-made-with-dd-or-dd_rescue-in-linux/

For me, the biggest problem I had was the partition in the disk image was
really an LVM PV.  And that LVM group had the same volume group name as one
on the server I was doing this modification.  I had two volume groups with
the same name, which made things a little tricky.  But I'll leave that to
you to figure out :)

Scott