[ovirt-users] Network Interface order changed after reboot

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Sun Jun 26 12:51:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:49 PM, <ovirt at timmi.org> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have two nodes (running CentOS 7) and the network interface order
> changed for some interfaces after every reboot.
>
> The configurations are done through the oVirt GUI. So the ifcfg-ethX
> scripts are configured automatically by VDSM.
>
> Is there any option to get this configured to be stable?
>
> Best regards and thank you
>
> Christoph

Hi Christoph,

VDSM indeed edits and takes ownership of the interfaces for the networks it
manages.
However, editing the ifcfg files should not change anything in the order of
the devices, unless it was originally set
in an unsupported fashion. An ifcfg file is bound to a specific device name
and I'm not familiar to device names
floating around randomly.
Perhaps you should elaborate more on what it means by 'order changed'.

Here is an example of a setup we do not support (pre adding the host to
Engine):
The initial ifcfg file name: ifcfg-eth0
The initial ifcfg file content: DEVICE="eth1"
In this configuration, the name of the ifcfg file is inconsistent with the
name of the device it represents.
VDSM expects them to me in sync.

Please provide the ifcfg files before and after you add the host to Engine.

Thanks,
Edy.