[ovirt-users] oVirt and Ceph

Kevin Hrpcek khrpcek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 16:35:37 UTC 2016

Hello Charles,

The solution I came up with to solve this problem was to use RDO. I have
oVirt engine running on dedicated hardware. The best way to have oVirt
engine and RDO running on the same hardware is to build a VM on the same
hardware as the engine with virt manager or virsh using the local disk as
storage (you could possibly replace the VM with docker but I never explored
that option). I found it necessary to do this because the oVirt engine and
RDO http configs didn't play well together. They could probably be made to
work on the same OS instance, but it was taking much more time than I
wanted to figure out how to make httpd work with both. Once the VM is up
and running I set up the RDO repos on it and installed packstack. Use
packstack to generate an answers file, then go through the answers file and
set it up so that it only installs Cinder, Keystone, MariaDB, and RabbitMQ.
These are the only necessary pieces of openstack for cinder to work
correctly. Once it is installed you need to configure cinder and keystone
how you want since they only come with the admin tenant,user,project,etc...
I set up a ovirt user,tenant,project and configured cinder to use my ceph
cluster/pool.

It is much simpler to do than that long paragraph may make it seem at
first. I've also tested using CephFS as a POSIX storage domain in oVirt. It
works but in my experience there was at least a 25% performance decrease
over Cinder/RBD.

Kevin