[ovirt-users] Ovirt 3.6.x upgrade to 4.0: HE VM not shutdownable - hyperkonverged r3a1 setup

mike.lupe at gmx.ch mike.lupe at gmx.ch
Wed Jun 29 07:25:50 UTC 2016

Hello all,

yesterday I upgraded my 3.6.x to 4.0 and got stuck with obviously not being able to shutdown HE VM itself ("shutdown all VMs" required for increasing the compatibility level to 4.0). As I luckily already had a 4th pure computing node, rgolan friendly walked me through the process of creating a new V4 cluster and moving that 4th node to it. The purpose was to free up the default cluster, to be prepared to increase to V4.

The next step was to migrate the HE VM to the new cluster ("automatically chose host", as there is only one host for that new cluster). Everything went well, but (as rgolan asked to check) the cluster assignment for the HE VM in the edit VM dialogue still shows "Default" and an attempt to increase the compatibility of "Default" cluster of course didn't work ("first shut down all VMs!"). The migration of another VM to that new cluster on the other hand worked without a glitch.

Attached is the engine.log. Relevant entries should start at around " 2016-06-29 00:53:20 ", it should be the time I created the new cluster and moved pure computing node " slp-ovirtnode-04 " to it. Please ignore the glusterfs brick entries, I have additional disks ready to be added, but this is another story ;)

Hopefully there is a way to entirely move the HE VM to the new cluster.

Thanks and regards
mikelupe