[ovirt-users] my notes while installing hosted-engine-appliance-3.6.3

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 16:39:56 UTC 2016

0. The longest part of the installation was setting up DNS-DHCP-MAC for the
   future hosted engine VM. One should have it ready prior to the actual
   installation. Luckily, Roy Golan told me of that ahead of time.

1. The release notes http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/releases/3.6/
   refer to the Quick Start Guide, but the latter is not updated with 3.6 content.

2. I've started with a fully-updated Fedora 23 host, and installed
   http://plain.resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm on it.

3. It's a bad bad practice (don't try this at home), but I've modified
   /etc/yum.repos.d/ovirt-3.6.repo to look for fc22 packages, as fc23 is not
   supported of ovirt-3.6.

4. The release notes ask to modify KexAlgorithms in sshd_config. This is a bit
   dishearting, and it would much better to explain WHY this is needed.

5. http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/heapplianceflow/
   has two broken links to jobs that create the hosted engine appliance. I
   found my appliance image in
   http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-appliance_ovirt-3.6_build-artifacts-el7-x86_64/

6. While running `hosted-engine --deploy` I was greeted with
    [WARNING] OVF does not contain a valid image description, using default.
   which suggest that there's a little problem in the appliance, right?

7. After the installation, I've lost connection to my host: it appears that
   prior to the installation, dhclient on the host used something other than
   because /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient--eno1.lease to store the DUID. Thus, I've
   experienced https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1219429 where ovirtmgmt was given a
   fresh IP address. We may need to extract DUID right from the running
   dhclient, Ondra.

8. After resolving this, and adding storage to the default datacenter, Engine
   has imported its own VM, and presented it clearly.

9. Despite the several hurdles and hacks, installation was quick and uneventful.

Kudos to the hosted-engine, appliance, and sla teams!