[ovirt-users] my notes while installing hosted-engine-appliance-3.6.3

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 09:28:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> 0. The longest part of the installation was setting up DNS-DHCP-MAC for
>> the
>>    future hosted engine VM. One should have it ready prior to the actual
>>    installation. Luckily, Roy Golan told me of that ahead of time.
>>

> you can use /etc/hosts instead of DNS-DHCP-MAC for testing purposes

We also support static addressing for the engine VM.
If the user wants to rely on DHCP/DNS infrastructure he must configure it.
Maybe we can just add a more descriptive hint in hosted-engine-setup.

>> 1. The release notes
>> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/releases/3.6/
>>    refer to the Quick Start Guide, but the latter is not updated with 3.6
>> content.
>>

> and the release note page is a mess after the migration (opened
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-site/issues/98 )
>

>> 2. I've started with a fully-updated Fedora 23 host, and installed
>>    http://plain.resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm on
>> it.
>>
>> 3. It's a bad bad practice (don't try this at home), but I've modified
>>    /etc/yum.repos.d/ovirt-3.6.repo to look for fc22 packages, as fc23 is
>> not
>>    supported of ovirt-3.6.
>>
>> 4. The release notes ask to modify KexAlgorithms in sshd_config. This is
>> a bit
>>    dishearting, and it would much better to explain WHY this is needed.
>>

> original wiki page had a link to the bz: BZ 1225531
> <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/1225531>
> which got dropped by the automated conversion to the new website format
> (again, https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-site/issues/98 )
>

>> 5.
>> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/heapplianceflow/
>>    has two broken links to jobs that create the hosted engine appliance. I
>>    found my appliance image in
>>
>> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-appliance_ovirt-3.6_build-artifacts-el7-x86_64/
>

> Opened https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-site/issues/125

The appliance is now distributed as an rpm so
   yum install ovirt-engine-appliance
should do the job

>> 6. While running `hosted-engine --deploy` I was greeted with
>>     [WARNING] OVF does not contain a valid image description, using
>> default.
>>    which suggest that there's a little problem in the appliance, right?
>>

> Fabian, can you work with Dan and see why image description is missing?
>

>> 7. After the installation, I've lost connection to my host: it appears
>> that
>>    prior to the installation, dhclient on the host used something other
>> than
>>    because /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient--eno1.lease to store the DUID.
>> Thus, I've
>>    experienced https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1219429 where ovirtmgmt was
>> given a
>>    fresh IP address. We may need to extract DUID right from the running
>>    dhclient, Ondra.
>>

> have you opened a bz for this?
>

>> 8. After resolving this, and adding storage to the default datacenter,
>> Engine
>>    has imported its own VM, and presented it clearly.
>>
>> 9. Despite the several hurdles and hacks, installation was quick and
>> uneventful.
>>

> Great!
>

>> Kudos to the hosted-engine, appliance, and sla teams!
>>

> Thanks,

Thanks! :-)