[ovirt-users] Configuring the SRIOV virsh device

Michael Burman mburman at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 09:17:08 UTC 2016

Hi again David)

In order to achieve such xml ^^ (the one you describing) you should first
of all prepare a proper 'Port Profile' on your UCS manager side.
- In your/from your example you should have 2 Port Profiles([1], [2])
configured in your cisco side(see -
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/vm_fex/kvm/gui/config_guide/2-1/b_GUI_KVM_VM-FEX_UCSM_Configuration_Guide_2_1/b_GUI_KVM_VM-FEX_UCSM_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_010.html)

[1]  profile-ame1-test1
[2] profile-ame1-prep1

- This port profiles should associate with your service profiles(blades)

- If you have those port profiles on your ucs side and they well
configured, then you should follow the steps i suggested in the previous
e-mail -->

1) Run for example:
engine-config -s
CustomDeviceProperties="{type=interface;prop={ifacemacspoof=^(true|false)$;queues=[1-9][0-9]*;vmfex=^[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]{2,32}$;SecurityGroups=^(?:(?:[0-9a-fA-F]{8}-(?:[0-9a-fA-F]{4}-){3}[0-9a-fA-F]{12},
*)*[0-9a-fA-F]{8}-(?:[0-9a-fA-F]{4}-){3}[0-9a-fA-F]{12}|)$}}" --cver=3.5

- Restart your ovirt-engine service
- with --cver=3.5 you can specify your cluster version level. ^^
- If you don't want that it will overwrite your current attributes, you
have to send them all as well(like on my example above). ^^

2) Install vdsm-hook-vmfex-dev on your server(if you don't using vdsm
version 3.6, the vmfex hook isn't installed by default)

3) In ovirt engine you can verify that host have the hooks installed under
'Hosts' main tab - > 'Host Hooks' sub tab
You should see there: a) before_device_migrate_destination b)
before_device_create c) before_nic_hotplug

4) Create new network and edit the vNIC profile.
Choose from the CustomDeviceProperties the 'vmfex' key(like in your
example) and in the right field enter your Port Profile id/name(the one
that is configured on your UCS side)

- 'Networks' main tab(create network) >> 'vNIC Profiles' sub tab(edit the
profile and add the 'vmfex' key), so it would look like:
vmfex = profile-ame1-test1
and/or
vmfex = profile-ame1-prep1

5) Go to 'Setup Networks' sub tab under 'Hosts' main tab --> attach the
network with the vmfex profile to NIC on host(drag it), it should be the
additional NIC, not the one that the management network attached to.

6) Create VM or use exist one, create/add new vNIC to the VM with the vmfex
profile

7) Run VM

If your port profile configured properly you should see the proper xml,
like you described above ^^ -->

Good luck and kind regards,
Michael B

Michael Burman