[ovirt-users] hosted engine setup failed for 10 minutes delay.. engine seems alive

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:15:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> hypervisor?
>>
>> On the hypervisor
>>
>> > That's a good question. Simone - do you know if we start the guest with
>> > virtio-rng?
>>
>> AFAIK we are not.
>>

> On the only existing hypervisor, just after booting and exiting global
> maintenance, causing hosted engine to start, I have
>
> [root at ovirt01 ~]# uptime
>  20:34:17 up 6 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.20, 0.11
>
> [root at ovirt01 ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
> 3084
>
> BTW on the self hosted engine VM:
> [root at ovirt ~]# uptime
>  18:35:33 up 4 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.25, 0.13
>
> [root at ovirt ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
> 14
>
> On the hypervisor:
> [root at ovirt01 ~]# ps -ef | grep [q]emu | grep virtio-rng
> [root at ovirt01 ~]#
>
> On engine VM:
> [root at ovirt ~]# ll /dev/hwrng
> ls: cannot access /dev/hwrng: No such file or directory
> [root at ovirt ~]#
>
> [root at ovirt ~]# lsmod | grep virtio_rng
> [root at ovirt ~]#
>
> May I change anything so that engine VM has virtio-rng enabled?
>
> Gianluca

I verified very slow login time in webadmin after welcome page, with my
configuration that is for now based on /etc/hosts.
After reading a previous post, and having after about 30 minutes only 114
as entropy in hosted engine vm, I made this in engine VM:

yum install haveged
systemctl enable haveged

put host in global maintenance
shutdown engine VM
exit from maintenance

engine VM starts and immediately I have:

[root at ovirt ~]# uptime
 19:05:10 up 0 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.68, 0.20, 0.07

[root at ovirt ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
1369

And login in web admin page now almost immediate....

Inside the thread I read:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-April/038805.html

it wasn't clear if I can edit the engine VM in webadmin (or other mean) and
enable the random generator option or if the haveged way is the one to go
with in case of self hosted engine....
Is there a list of what I can change (if any) and what not for the engine
VM?
For example I would like to change the time zone that is GMT now (I think
inherited from the OVF of the appliance?)

Thanks,
Gianluca