[ovirt-users] oVirt All-in-One upgrade path and requested improvements

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:20:08 UTC 2016

Hello,

I recently found out that oVirt "deprecated" the All-in-One
configuration option in oVirt 3.6 and removed it in oVirt 4.0. This is
a huge problem for me, as it means that my oVirt machines don't have
an upgrade path.

My experiments with the self-hosted engine have ended in failure for a
couple of reasons:
* The hosted engine deploy expects that a FQDN is already paired with
an IP address. This is obviously false in most home environments, and
even in the work environment where I use oVirt regularly. There's no
workaround for this (except having a third machine to run the
engine!), and this utterly breaks the only way to use oVirt in a
DHCP-centric environment where I may not control the network
addressing.

* Other error states have caused the whole thing to break and just
leave the system a broken mess. With no way to clean up, I'm left
guessing how to undo everything, which is hellish and leads me to just
wipe the whole system and start over.

In addition, I was hoping that there would be improvements with the
single system case, rather than destruction of this capability. Some
of the improvements are things I think would be useful in even a
multi-node setup, too.

For example, I would like to see live migration capabilities with
local storage across datacenters, as this capability in vMotion makes
deployments a lot more flexible. Sometimes, local storage is really
the only way to get the kind of speed needed for some workloads, and
being able to offer some kind of HA for VMs on local storage would be
excellent. In addition to being useful for all-in-one setups, it's
quite useful for self-hosted engine configurations, too.

It's also rather irritating that there's no way to migrate stuff from
shared storage to local storage and back. On top of that, datacenters
that have local storage can't have shared storage or vice versa.

On top of that, it looks like the all-in-one code is being kept around
anyway for the oVirt Live stuff, so why not just keep the capability
and improve it? oVirt should become the best virtualization solution
for everyone, not just people who have access to huge datacenters
where all the conditions are perfect.