[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine Appliance hostname causing issues in production environment

Langley, Robert Robert.Langley at ventura.org
Thu May 12 23:29:18 UTC 2016

Hello;

I discovered, the hard way, that the appliance is configured with the hostname of localhost.localdomain.localdomain
It seems that something did not go well with the hosted-engine -deploy
I can go into the engine VM and edit the hostname, but if for any reason I need to poweroff the engine VM, I get in trouble. Because, then the hostname goes back to localhost.localdomain.localdomain and both DHCP & DNS within our enterprise/production environment ends up assuming that for the hostname to IP address reference or record. And it seems that other linux systems (not the ones I administer; none of my almost 50 systems are effected. Of those, I have about 5 linux/UNIX based systems attached to the production network) are going offline because of this.
I assume they do not have their HOSTS file configured correctly, but they (the other administrators) are not listening to me. I have already told them what to look for, in order to fix the issue on their own systems, but they've ended up with this now for the third time.
This is because I work for a local government and we have various administrators for the various agencies within our County government.
I have unplugged my initial physical host from our County network and I think I'm going to end up bringing up a physical engine host, then work on converting that to a VM for a hosted engine. I hope that is going to work. I tried bringing up the OVA of the appliance within VirtualBox, but that doesn't work. Is there another virtual software I can bring up within a Windows PC to simply edit the hostname, then export the appliance again?
I think the appliance for download needs to be changed to have something other than "localhost.localdomain.localdomain" as the hostname in the hosted-engine appliance. I downloaded the OVA file from the Jenkins.ovirt.org site.

Sincerely,
-Robert