[ovirt-users] Trying to understand the mixed storage configuration options.

Pavel Gashev Pax at acronis.com
Fri May 13 13:48:29 UTC 2016

Nir,

Basically, almost any server has a local storage. It could be a reliable, RAID enabled storage. It would be great to allow to use it simultaneously with shared storages.

Other virtualizations like vmware/hyperv support local and shared storages simultaneously. If your VM is on local storage, it's tied to a host. Just like when VM has attached local device(s). VM migration moves disks between hosts as well.

An obvious solution is to export local storages via NFS to make it shared. This would allow to drop «local storage datacenters» as a class.

TODO list would be the following:
1. VDSM: add creating NFS exports
2. Engine: creating NFS exports before local storage activation, and updating NFS exports after adding/removing hosts
3. Engine: add moving disks between storages during (just before, just after) VM migration.
4. Engine: add constraints to avoid dangerous situations - disallow changing VM startup host, disallow moving disks to another local storage without VM migration, etc.