[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine Appliance hostname causing issues in production environment

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Fri May 13 15:19:35 UTC 2016

Il 13 Mag 2016 1:29 AM, "Langley, Robert" <Robert.Langley at ventura.org> ha
scritto:

> Hello;
>

> I discovered, the hard way, that the appliance is configured with the
hostname of localhost.localdomain.localdomain

> It seems that something did not go well with the hosted-engine –deploy

Did you try configuring the appliance with cloud-init?
Can you please attach hosted-engine-setup logs?

> I can go into the engine VM and edit the hostname, but if for any reason
I need to poweroff the engine VM, I get in trouble. Because, then the
hostname goes back to localhost.localdomain.localdomain and both DHCP & DNS
within our enterprise/production environment ends up assuming that for the
hostname to IP address reference or record. And it seems that other linux
systems (not the ones I administer; none of my almost 50 systems are
effected. Of those, I have about 5 linux/UNIX based systems attached to the
production network) are going offline because of this.

> I assume they do not have their HOSTS file configured correctly, but they
(the other administrators) are not listening to me. I have already told
them what to look for, in order to fix the issue on their own systems, but
they’ve ended up with this now for the third time.

> This is because I work for a local government and we have various
administrators for the various agencies within our County government.

> I have unplugged my initial physical host from our County network and I
think I’m going to end up bringing up a physical engine host, then work on
converting that to a VM for a hosted engine. I hope that is going to work.
I tried bringing up the OVA of the appliance within VirtualBox, but that
doesn’t work. Is there another virtual software I can bring up within a
Windows PC to simply edit the hostname, then export the appliance again?

> I think the appliance for download needs to be changed to have something
other than “localhost.localdomain.localdomain” as the hostname in the
hosted-engine appliance. I downloaded the OVA file from the
Jenkins.ovirt.org site.