[ovirt-users] oVirt & gluster - which copy is written to?

Bill Bill jax2568 at outlook.com
Thu May 12 00:05:22 UTC 2016

Hello,

Let’s say I have a 5 node converged cluster of oVirt & glusterFS with a replica count of “3”.

Host1 - replica
Host2 - replica
Host3 - replica
Host4
Host5

If I spin a VM up on Host1 – does the first replica get created local to that server?

In the event I move the VM to another host, does the replica of the disk follow the VM so essentially it’s writing to a local copy first or does it “always” write across the network.

For example, with VMware, the disk will follow the VM to the hypervisor you move it to so that the writes are essentially “local”.

I have not been able to find anything on the internet or in the documentation that specifies how this process works. Ideally, you wouldn’t want a VM residing on Host1 that accesses its disk on Host3. Multiple that by hundreds of VM’s and it would create a ton of unnecessary network congestion.