[ovirt-users] Recommended bonding modes?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon May 23 12:59:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering what the recommended bonding modes are for the different
> types of networks:
>
>   - Management/Display
>   - Guest VM Traffic

0, 5, 6 are NOT supported over bridges (hence, for guest VM traffic)

  - Storage (NFS)

Unless you have multiple mounts (multiple NFS storage domains) you are
unlikely to get a bandwidth improvements, only HA from bond for NFS (in
that sense, it's better to use iSCSI in such a scenario)

> For the purposes pf this post, assume mode 4 is not available.
>
> For Management/Display, I am thinking mode 1 (active-backup) is adequate
> since there generally isn't a lot of traffic being pushed through.
>
> Storage, I like mode 0 (round robin) due to some performance results I
> have seen, though I understand this has to be setup in "custom bonding".
> Mode 6 seems like it would do well here as well.

As explained above, for NFS, it's not going to help performance-wise.
Y.