[ovirt-users] Ovirt + OpenVSwitch

Sverker Abrahamsson sverker at abrahamsson.com
Mon May 23 12:38:06 UTC 2016

I've been giving this a new try. Unfortunately the setup script for
hosted engine seems to be hardcoded to create a bridge on a physical
network interface. I was somewhat successful by creating a dummy
ovirtmgmt bridge interface and patching bridge.py to give back a static
ip. Then the engine started up but failed later in the setup due to a
faulty firewall rule.

I then thought that ok I'll restore the network config to the original
settings, run the setup and then add the OpenVSwitch config. That failed
even more miserably before I got that far..

As soon as vdsm activates it will write ifcfg files for eth0 and
ovirtmgmt but with a config that doesn't work in my case as there are
some additional parameters that are needed. For example it is missing
the HWADDR setting in ifcfg-eth0. This is using the beta1 release of 4.0

Even if I boot rescue image and correct the network configuration it
will again be overwritten by vdsm on boot.

I really need to make Ovirt understand that it must NOT change any
network configuration on the host, just use what is provided to it and
if there is something that it doesn't like then log the settings that
should be changed.

How can I accomplish that?

/Sverker