[ovirt-users] Clone, template, pools : how does it uses disk space ?

Fred Rolland frolland at redhat.com
Tue May 31 11:49:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

NFS will be sparse. Preallocate is relevant for block storage.

There is a fix to change the UI to display the format (RAW/QCOW2) of the
disk instead of the type (Sparse/Preallocated)  [1].
When creating a VM from a template, If you choose thin provisioning the
disk format will be alway QCOW2, keeping the disk from the template as is
read-only and creating a disk only for the diffs.
If you choose Clone, then the whole disk will be copied and you will have a
new copy of template disk in whatever format you want (Raw or QCOW2).

>What happens if you clone a source VM which is using "thin" ?
The VM cloned from a thin templated base VM will be created with a full
copy of the disk (as in "Clone" when creating from template)

>Interesting. Is there a way to "merge" the changes ? (I mean to change it
from being "thin provision" after its creation and make it an independent
VM)
No, a VM created as thin will remain like that. You can clone a new VM from
it and them you will have an "independent VM"

>When you create a template for the first time, it seems you can't choose
between clone and thin, which one is used ?
When you create a template you make a read-only copy of the VM disks
(Clone) . You can choose the format of the disks (RAW/QCOW2)

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/57190/