[ovirt-users] Can't perform search after setting up an Active Directory

Alexis HAUSER alexis.hauser at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu May 26 09:56:01 UTC 2016

>> Where should I add this ? in /etc/hosts ? Somewhere in the ovirt config ? On the DNS server I'm using ?
>On DNS you are using, usually on AD DNS.

Well actually this DNS name doesn't exist and seem to be only an unspecified variable in ovirt...I have no reason to create a DNS entry for it.

I think you missed my previous mail (with the error logs with different parameters for DNS) :)

>> Actually, it's using ldaps yes. It doesnt solve my issue but I don't know where this DNS server comes from, I think it doesn't exist...

>In AD startTLS usually works by default, strange. Why you disable it?

Here we're using ldaps

> I tried to configure it by adding vars.dns = dns://one_of_the_adservers.com and the same with ":636" at the end, but none of them works, it's still trying to reach this weird address with underlines : _ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com

>This error means, that you don't have SRV record for
>'_ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com'. You need to create first, before
>changing aaa-ldap configuration.

>You can check if it's resolvable, by running following command:

>  $ dig @one_of_the_adservers.com _ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com SRV

dig @one_of_the_adservers.com _ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com SRV

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.7 <<>> @one_of_the_adservers.com _ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com SRV
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_ldaps._tcp.university.mydomain.com. IN	SRV

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
university.mydomain.com. 3600	IN	SOA	one_of_the_adservers.com. another_server.com. 36174 900 600 86400 3600

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: X.X.X.X#53(X.X.X.X)
;; WHEN: Thu May 26 11:36:43 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 134

It seems to confirm what I said : this DNS entry doesn't seem to exist.

>> Actually that's what I said : only .properties file are detected. The problem is about the namespaces : when LDAP.properties file and AD.properties file are activated, the >>namespace suggested in the web interface in the user tab, when choosing AD, is the DN of the LDAP...Which seems to be a bug....Namespaces of everything are mixed...And if I >>select internal and then select again AD, a new namespace appears : * (from internal).
>> This a weird behavior, right ?
>>

>Yes, that's weird, but I guess it's misconfigured. Doesn't your names of
>extensions conflict?
>I think that you combine values(names) 'ovirt.engine.extension.name' for
>both AD and OpenLDAP. It should differ. Can you post those configurations?

Actually I don't have any ovirt.engine.extension.name parameter in the aaa/.properties
If you mean the authn and authz files, here they are (is that single line with ovirt-engine/ at the end of the first (AD) authz a normal thing...?)  :

AD :

ovirt.engine.extension.name = AD-authz
ovirt.engine.extension.bindings.method = jbossmodule
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.module = org.ovirt.engine-extensions.aaa.ldap
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.class = org.ovirt.engineextensions.aaa.ldap.AuthzExtension
ovirt.engine.extension.provides = org.ovirt.engine.api.extensions.aaa.Authz
config.profile.file.1 = ../aaa/AD.properties
ovirt-engine/

ovirt.engine.extension.name = AD-authn
ovirt.engine.extension.bindings.method = jbossmodule
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.module = org.ovirt.engine-extensions.aaa.ldap
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.class = org.ovirt.engineextensions.aaa.ldap.AuthnExtension
ovirt.engine.extension.provides = org.ovirt.engine.api.extensions.aaa.Authn
ovirt.engine.aaa.authn.profile.name = AD
ovirt.engine.aaa.authn.authz.plugin = AD-authz
config.profile.file.1 = ../aaa/AD.properties

LDAP :

ovirt.engine.extension.name = public-authz
ovirt.engine.extension.bindings.method = jbossmodule
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.module = org.ovirt.engine-extensions.aaa.ldap
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.class = org.ovirt.engineextensions.aaa.ldap.AuthzExtension
ovirt.engine.extension.provides = org.ovirt.engine.api.extensions.aaa.Authz
config.profile.file.1 = ../aaa/public.properties

ovirt.engine.extension.name = public-authn
ovirt.engine.extension.bindings.method = jbossmodule
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.module = org.ovirt.engine-extensions.aaa.ldap
ovirt.engine.extension.binding.jbossmodule.class = org.ovirt.engineextensions.aaa.ldap.AuthnExtension
ovirt.engine.extension.provides = org.ovirt.engine.api.extensions.aaa.Authn
ovirt.engine.aaa.authn.profile.name = public
ovirt.engine.aaa.authn.authz.plugin = public-authz
config.profile.file.1 = ../aaa/public.properties