[ovirt-users] oVirt SDK v4 backwards compatibility

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 08:25:02 UTC 2016

On 11/07/2016 07:06 PM, Rafael Martins wrote:
> [...]

It is important to understand the following:

* There are two different versions of the API: version 3 and version 4.

* Version 3 of the engine implements only version 3 of the API.

* Version 4 of the engine implements versions 3 and 4 of the API. This
is the current situation. In version 4.2 we will probably drop suport
for version 3 of the API completely.

* Version 3 of the SDK implements only version 3 of the SDK. The name of
the package is "ovirt-engine-sdk-python".

* Version 4 of the SDK implements only version 4 of the SDK. The name of
the package is "python-ovirt-engine-sdk4".

In your specific use case, version 4.0.3 of the
"python-ovirt-engine-sdk4" package can't talk to version 3.6.X of the
engine. But as Rafael says, you can install version 3 of the SDK, the
"ovirt-engine-sdk-python" package, and then it will version 3.6.X of the
engine.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain