[ovirt-users] I wrote an oVirt thing

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 13:48:23 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
wrote:

> Le 29/11/2016 à 21:09, Ekin Meroğlu a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Oved Ourfali <oourfali at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, the ovirt-shell is something we deprecated. It is working on top of
>> the v3 api, which we plan to remove in 4.2.
>> So better not use it.
>>
> ​Is there a plan to replace the shell with something similar? I see it
> frequently used by our users for both scripting and one-off tasks.
>
> +1, yes deleting an old v3 API ok, but why not adapting ovirt-shell to the
> new v4 API? I use ovirt-shell every day, often to replace the slow webadmin
> and to run some useful scripts. I'm not enough familiar with python or java
> to write my own scripts, and I find ovirt-shell very useful, easy and fast.
> We've been used to have ready-to-go CLI in almost every opensource software
> as a simple way to manage, why not going on with ovirt 4 if people do need
> it? Is cloud approach something to do with that idea?
> Rational reason would be much appreciated.

There is no technical limitation, AFAIK.
I've looked last night at ConfigShell[1] (and see example @ [2])], and it
looks nice and simple (then again, all examples are simple at first).
I'd be happy to see someone developing a CLI on top of the Python SDK using
it.
Perhaps we can write it down as a Google Summer Of Code project.
Y.

[1] https://github.com/open-iscsi/configshell-fb
[2]
https://github.com/open-iscsi/configshell-fb/blob/master/examples/myshell